Divorces are an emotional time for the entire family, especially when the couple getting divorced has children together. When a custody agreement is reached, family members often fear that they will not be able to spend as much time with the child as they once could, especially when they are family members on the side of the noncustodial parent.

If a family member is concerned that they will lose their relationship with the child, they may wish to request the court’s interference to grant them visitation. If the court believes that allowing the individual to continue this relationship with the child is in the child’s best interest, they will grant a visitation order that is legally binding and must be followed by all parties. It is important to be aware that unfortunately, only certain family members are permitted to request an order for visitation. Those that are permitted to request an order for visitation in the state of New Jersey include the following family members:

  • The noncustodial parent
  • The child’s siblings
  • The child’s grandparents

Those that are not permitted to request visitation rights include step-siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, and other extended family members. This is true no matter how strong the bond is between the family member and the child.

If you have questions about your visitation rights, contact our firm today.

Paris P. Eliades Law Firm, LLC is a divorce and family law firm serving clients in Sussex, Morris, and  Passaic County and throughout New Jersey. Our firm is proud to provide clients with compassionate, quality legal services. Contact our office today for a free initial consultation.