Divorces are never easy and they only become further complicated when the divorcing couple has children together. If the couple has children, they will have to come up with a parenting plan and determine factors such as custody, a visitation schedule, and child support payments. In New Jersey, the non-custodial parent, or the parent who spends less than 50-percent of the time with the children, is ordered to make child support payments. Child support is calculated based on a number of factors with the primary goal of allowing the child to maintain his or her quality of life as it was prior to the divorce of their parents.

Unfortunately, circumstances change over time and at some point, the non-custodial parent may lose their job or become injured or ill and can no longer work. As a result, it may become nearly impossible for the parent to continue making the child support payments they are obligated to make each month. It is important that you inform the court immediately if you lose your job and put in a request for a post-judgment modification. If you fail to make your child support payments, you may end up in serious legal trouble. The Child Support Enforcement Agency in New Jersey may seize assets, suspend your license, or even go as far as to issue a warrant for your arrest if you don’t make payments. A post-judgment modification can allow you to request to lower the payments or suspend them for a certain amount of time. It is important to know that you may be held liable for paying back any child support that you have missed.

If you have questions or concerns about your child support arrangement, contact an experienced family law attorney today.

Paris P. Eliades Law Firm, LLC is honored to serve the people of New Jersey, including Sparta, Sussex County, Morris County, Passaic County, and Bergen County with the quality legal services they deserve. Contact our firm for a consultation today.