Not all families are the same, which is why there are different types of adoption available in the state of New Jersey. If you are considering adoption and would like to learn more about the process, contact our experienced New Jersey family law attorneys at Paris P. Eliades, Law Firm, LLC to discuss your options.
What different types of adoption options are available to my family and me in New Jersey?
There are many different types of adoption options that are available to families in the state of New Jersey. Your adoption choices in New Jersey include:
- Domestic adoption: This is when a United States resident, chooses to adopt a child who was born in the United States. Open domestic adoptions are becoming increasingly popular. Open domestic adoption is when your adoptive child’s birth parents consent to the adoption and have ongoing contact with the child. Typically, this process will involve an adoption agency.
- International adoption: Adopting a child from another country is known as international adoption. This type of adoption is much more intricate and demands a lot of travel to and from the child’s home country, so it is important you understand all it entails before proceeding.
- Private adoption: A private adoption is when you are either adopting a child through his or her biological parent, or you are adopting a child you already know. You can usually avoid adoption agencies by taking this route.
- LGBT adoption: In New Jersey, LGBT couples are legally allowed to adopt a child.
- Second-parent adoption: A same-sex parent may adopt his or her biological or adoptive child without terminating the first parent’s legal status as a parent.
- Step-parent adoption: This form of adoption requires either the consent of the non-custodial parent or the termination of his or her biological parental rights. Usually, the only grounds for this is evidence of abuse or neglect.
- Adult adoption: This is when two or more adults wish to transfer inheritance rights and/or filiation.
If you are interested in learning more about the adoption process or have questions about your particular situation, do not hesitate to contact our firm to learn more. Adoption is complex and can often be a stressful process, so it is important to have a supportive and dedicated family law attorney on your side. At Peter V. Mandi & Associates, Inc., we are ready to guide you and your family through this special time.
Contact our Firm
We understand that those getting a divorce most likely have several questions regarding the weeks and months to come. Paris P. Eliades Law Firm, LLC is honored to serve the people of New Jersey, including Sparta, Sussex County, Morris County, Passaic County, and Bergen County with the quality legal services they deserve. If you are getting a divorce or have any other questions regarding divorce-related matters, please do not hesitate to contact our firm for a consultation today.