When a couple makes the decision to get divorced, they know that they will have to divide up all of their assets through the equitable distribution process. Naturally, each side is going to try to get everything they want in the divorce because no one wants to part with any of their belongings, their money, or their children. Relief in a divorce is everything that you request in your divorce complaint.

You are permitted to ask the court for a number of different types of relief. For example, you can request to divide up your personal property, real property (like your house), and your debts through equitable distribution. In addition, you may request that the court grants you spousal support. This means that your spouse would be required to make you payments in order to assist you in remaining financially stable after the divorce. When requesting this type of relief in your complaint, it is just a general request and does not mean you need to put down an actual dollar amount in your complaint because that will be dealt with at a later time.

In your divorce complaint, you may also request relief in the form of specific child custody arrangement, a general visitation request, and a child support order. Like spousal support requests, these matters related to children are just general relief requests at this time and will be more specific later in the process.

If you have questions about requesting relief in a divorce complaint, contact an experienced divorce and family law attorney who can provide you with assistance.

Paris P. Eliades Law Firm, LLC is honored to serve the people of New Jersey, including Sparta, Sussex County, Morris County, Passaic County, and Bergen County with the quality legal services they deserve. Contact our firm for a consultation today.