The state of New Jersey takes child support payments seriously, as they want to ensure that children are financially supported by both parents. If you have questions about support payments, do not hesitate to reach out to our experienced New Jersey family law attorneys to discuss the specifics of your case and your options.

What is the age of emancipation in New Jersey?

The age of emancipation from child support payments is typically 19 years old in New Jersey. In most cases, financial support ends when a child reaches the age of emancipation. It is important to note that this age is not set in stone. There are several situations where a court will extend child support payments past the age of 19. For instance, this may happen if your child decides to pursue higher education and cannot financially support themselves until after they graduate.

In New Jersey, child support can also be terminated early. This can occur if your child is over the age of 18 and you are able to prove to the court that they are financially independent. If the court confirms that your child is financially independent, they can be emancipated and support payments can end. It is critical to be informed that support payments cannot stop until it is ruled by a New Jersey court. If you neglect to pay your court-ordered child support, you can face severe legal consequences.

Contact our firm today to learn more about child support and how our legal team can help you.

What does the court consider when determining the amount of support payments?

New Jersey courts will consider a number of different factors when determining the amount and frequency of support payments. Regularly, support payments are completed by the non-custodial parent to the custodial parent. The factors include the following:

  • You and your spouse’s earning capacity
  • You and your spouse’s age and health
  • The age and health of your child
  • Whether your child has any special needs
  • Whether your child is seeking higher education, such as college
  • Whether you or your spouse have any liabilities
  • You and your spouse’s standard of living
  • You and your spouse’s yearly income
  • The child custody arrangement you and your spouse currently have in place
  • Your child’s needs

What if I fail to pay child support?

Child support payments can be legally enforced. If you do not pay financial support, you can face the following punishments:

  • Taking money directly from the defaulting parent’s wages
  • Redirecting a tax refund
  • Credit reporting
  • Seizing their property
  • Suspending their driver’s license
  • Denying them a passport
  • Taking money from a civil award, settlement, or lottery winnings

Contact our Firm

We understand that those getting a divorce most likely have several questions regarding the weeks and months to come. Paris P. Eliades Law Firm, LLC is honored to serve the people of New Jersey, including Sparta, Sussex County, Morris County, Passaic County, and Bergen County with the quality legal services they deserve. If you are getting a divorce or have any other questions regarding divorce-related matters, please do not hesitate to contact our firm for a consultation today.