Amy F. Gjelsvik, Esq., was admitted to the practice of law in 2000. Following graduation from law school, she received a judicial clerkship with the Honorable Gerald B. Hanifan, J.S.C., in Superior Court, Family Part in Sussex County. Upon completion of her clerkship, she entered private practice and has since devoted her career to representing clients in all aspects of family law matters, including but not limited to divorce, domestic violence, custody, support, adoption, relocation, grandparents rights, and abuse and neglect cases. She has represented clients at both the trial court and appellate court levels. She is certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Matrimonial Law Attorney, an achievement reached by only a small percentage of attorneys in the state.
Ms. Gjelsvik is Past-President of the Sussex County Bar Association. She is a member of the association’s Family Law Committee and has served on various committees. She is also a member of the New Jersey State Bar Association and the Family Law Section of the NJSBA.
Recognizing the importance of service to our community, Ms. Gjelsvik donates her time as an attorney for a local homeless shelter for pregnant women and babies. She has received community service awards from DASI (Domestic Abuse and Sexual Assault Intervention Services, Inc.), Project Self-Sufficiency, Legal Services of Northwest Jersey, a 2006 Equal Justice Medal from Legal Services of New Jersey, a 2009 Mosaic Award from Project Self Sufficiency, and was named Attorney of the Year for PSS in 2010. She has presented seminars on various family law topics and regularly appears as an Early Settlement Panelist in Sussex County.
Ms. Gjelsvik’s professional honors include Professional Lawyer of the Year for 2014 from the New Jersey State Bar Association, as the representative from Sussex County. In September 2010, she was selected as one of “20 Under 40” by the New Jersey Herald.
In 2012, 2013 and 2014, she was selected for inclusion in the Super Lawyers Rising Stars list published Thomson Reuters.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Collaborative Divorce
- Custody and Parenting Time
- Child Support
- Non-Dissolution (family law matters between unmarried litigants)
- Domestic Violence
- Grandparent Rights
- Post-Judgment Matters
- Certified Matrimonial Law Attorney, Supreme Court of New Jersey, 2007
- Collaborative Law Attorney
- New Jersey, 2000
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2006
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Professional Lawyer of the Year, Sussex County, 2014
- Selected for inclusion on the Super Lawyers Rising Stars list published by Thomson Reuters, 2012, 2013, 2014
- “20 Under 40” by the New Jersey Herald, 2010
- Attorney of the Year, Project Self-Sufficiency, 2010
- Mosaic Award, Project Self-Sufficiency, 2009
- Equal Justice Medal from Legal Services of New Jersey, 2006
- Community Service Award, DASI, 2005
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Sussex County Bar Association, Past President
- NJSBA, Family Law Executive Committee
Write a review for Amy Gjelsvik on Avvo.com