Adoption is an incredibly exciting process. But, if you are considering adoption, you may have a long road ahead. In order to help things go more smoothly, it is important to do your research. Read on to learn more about the different adoption options in New Jersey.
Adoption options available in New Jersey
Every family is different, as a result, every adoption will be different. In New Jersey, there are a number of different ways to adopt a child. These options include:
- Domestic Adoption: Domestic adoption is when an individual in the United States adopts a child who was born in and lives in the United States.
- Private Adoption: Private adoption is adopting a child that you either already know, or adopting a child with the expressed consent of the child’s biological parent. When you get a private adoption, you can usually circumvent adoption agencies.
- International Adoption: International adoptions involve adopting a child born in another country. These adoptions are generally more complex and involve a lot of international travel.
- Second-Parent Adoption: Second-parent adoption is also not legal in every state, though fortunately, it is in New Jersey. Essentially, second-parent adoption is when a same-sex parent adopts a biological or adoptive child without terminating the first parent’s legal parental status.
- Stepparent Adoption: Generally, stepparents can only adopt their stepchild if the child’s biological parent gives his or her consent, or if an incident of abuse or neglect has been proven, thereby terminating the biological parent’s parental rights.
- Adult Adoption: Adult adoption generally exists between two or more adults, with the essential purpose of either transferring inheritance rights or filiation.
Should I work with an attorney when it comes to adoption?
Regardless of the type of adoption you choose, adoption is generally an invasive process. In order to ensure that the child will be placed in a happy, healthy, and stable environment, your life will be looked at intensely. For example, you may be required to participate in training courses, background checks, home visits, reference checks, and more. Because adoption is an important legal process, it is important to have a skilled attorney walk you through it.
If you have any questions or concerns about adoption in New Jersey, our firm is here to help. Reach out today to discuss your options with a dedicated family law attorney.
Contact our Firm
We understand that those getting a divorce most likely have several questions regarding the weeks and months to come. Paris P. Eliades Law Firm, LLC is honored to serve the people of New Jersey, including Sparta, Sussex County, Morris County, Passaic County, and Bergen County with the quality legal services they deserve. If you are getting a divorce or have any other questions regarding divorce-related matters, please do not hesitate to contact our firm for a consultation today.