Parents have a responsibility to care for their children financially. As a result, New Jersey takes child support agreements very seriously. If you have lost your job, you may be wondering whether you have to continue making child support payments. Read on to learn more.

How is Child Support Determined?

When determining child support, a New Jersey court may examine the following factors:

  • The parenting/ custody structure
  • The child’s needs
  • The child’s needs and capacity for education, including higher education
  • The standard of living
  • Each party’s financial situation
  • Each parent’s assets and liabilities
  • Earning capacity of each party
  • Age and health of the parents and the child

If I Lost My Job, Can I Stop Making Payments?

If you have become unemployed, you will have to continue paying child support, unless otherwise stated by a New Jersey court. That being said, you do have options. In the event of unemployment, you can request a child support modification.

How Do I Modify My Child Support Agreement?

If you have lost your job, you may be able to modify the amount and/or frequency of your child support payments. It is important to note that child support cannot be modified for any reason, rather there must be a large and unexpected change in circumstances. This means that if you are unemployed because you quit your job, or you were fired for criminal behavior or gross negligence, you likely won’t be able to modify your agreement. In order to modify your agreement, you should contact a family law attorney. An attorney can show a judge that you are facing a significant change in circumstances and that a modification is necessary.

If you have become unemployed and you believe you need to modify your child support arrangement, reach out to our firm today to speak with an experienced and knowledgeable attorney.

Contact our Firm

We understand that those getting a divorce most likely have several questions regarding the weeks and months to come. Paris P. Eliades Law Firm, LLC is honored to serve the people of New Jersey, including Sparta, Sussex County, Morris County, Passaic County, and Bergen County with the quality legal services they deserve. If you are getting a divorce or have any other questions regarding divorce-related matters, please do not hesitate to contact our firm for a consultation today.