When a couple gets divorced, there are a number of matters to work out. Many couples work hard to agree upon the terms of their divorce and find solutions that work best for all parties. But, as time passes and things change, these agreements may no longer work. When this happens, a post-divorce modification might be necessary. Read on to learn more.

What arrangements can be Modified?

You can request a modification to the following arrangements:

  • Spousal support
  • Child support
  • Child custody
  • Child visitation
  • Relation within the state
  • Relocation outside of state lines

What warrants a modification?

It can be difficult to obtain a modification. This is because a judge will generally only grant a modification if you can prove that your circumstances have changed drastically and permanently. Some situations that may warrant a modification include:

  • Either party is living with another person and no longer needs support from their former-spouse
  • If either party receives a promotion, demotion, loses their job, becomes disabled, etc., the spousal or child support payment amount may need to change
  • If either party exposes their child to domestic violence, substance abuse, a serious mental illness, etc., custody agreements may need to change
  • If the child’s schedule changes, a former spouse may wish to modify custody terms, parenting time, and visitation schedule
  • A child reaches the age of emancipation does not need child support anymore, child support may be terminated
  • A child decides to pursue higher education and child support needs to be extended

If you are unsure whether your situation calls for a modification, reach out to an attorney to discuss.

What if my ex ignores a modification?

In some cases, a modification will have to be enforced. In New Jersey, there are a number of ways to legally enforce post-divorce modifications., such as:

  • Compensatory time with the children
  • Economic sanctions
  • Modifying transportation arrangements
  • Pick-up and return of the children in public spaces
  • Counseling for children or parents
  • Temporary or permanent modifications to the arrangement
  • Participation by the violating parent in an approved community service program
  • Incarceration
  • Issuance of a warrant if violations continue

Contact our firm today to discuss your options when it comes to post-divorce modifications. Our firm will walk you through the process every step of the way.

Contact our Firm

We understand that those getting a divorce most likely have several questions regarding the weeks and months to come. Paris P. Eliades Law Firm, LLC is honored to serve the people of New Jersey, including Sparta, Sussex County, Morris County, Passaic County, and Bergen County with the quality legal services they deserve. If you are getting a divorce or have any other questions regarding divorce-related matters, please do not hesitate to contact our firm for a consultation today.