divorce couple

Couples who get divorced will have to determine a number of important issues. This may include matters of child support, child custody, and spousal support. These agreements will be carefully determined in order to best suit all parties. But, things change and sometimes these arrangements cease to work. In this case, you may need to request a post-judgment modification. Read on to learn more about what can be modified in New Jersey.

What Factors can be Modified?

Some of the factors you may wish to modify include: 

  • Spousal support
  • Child support
  • Child custody
  • Child visitation
  • Relation within the state
  • Relocation outside of state lines

What Circumstances Call for a Modification?

Your life may change drastically over the years. In order to obtain a modification, you will have to prove to a court that the modification is necessary. The following circumstances may call for a post-judgment modification in New Jersey:

  • A child reaches the age of emancipation does not need child support anymore
  • Financial responsibility must be determined for college education payment
  • Either party is living with another person and no longer needs support from their former-spouse
  • If the child’s schedule changes, a former spouse may wish to modify custody terms, parenting time, and visitation schedule
  • If either party receives a promotion, demotion, loses their job, becomes disabled, etc., the spousal or child support payment amount may need to change
  • If either party exposes their child to domestic violence, substance abuse, a serious mental illness, etc., custody agreements may need to change

If you are unsure whether your situation calls for a modification, reach out to an attorney to discuss.

How Are Modifications Enforced?

In New Jersey, there are a number of ways to enforce post-judgment modifications. A New Jersey court may order:

  • Compensatory time with the children
  • Economic sanctions
  • Modifying transportation arrangements
  • Pick-up and return of the children in public spaces
  • Counseling for children or parents
  • Temporary or permanent modifications to the arrangement
  • Participation by the violating parent in an approved community service program
  • Incarceration
  • Issuance of a warrant if violations continue

If you have any questions or concerns regarding post-judgment modifications in New Jersey, contact our experienced firm today. Our team of skilled attorneys is here to assist you with all of your family law needs.

Contact our Firm

We understand that those getting a divorce most likely have several questions regarding the weeks and months to come. Paris P. Eliades Law Firm, LLC is honored to serve the people of New Jersey, including Sparta, Sussex County, Morris County, Passaic County, and Bergen County with the quality legal services they deserve. If you are getting a divorce or have any other questions regarding divorce-related matters, please do not hesitate to contact our firm for a consultation today.