At the end of your divorce proceeding, the judge will draft an order detailing the terms of your divorce, as well as the potential consequences for violating those terms in any way. However, if circumstances have changed in either your life or your previous spouse’s life, you may request a modification from the court. If you are struggling in any way due to a change of circumstances, a chance to make the modifications you need may allow you to breathe easy once again. If you believe that you need a post-judgment modification, here are some of the questions you may have:

What constitutes a modification?

There are several different reasons why you may wish to modify the terms of your divorce. Losing a job, a recent illness, family relocation or your ex-spouse cohabiting with another individual are all valid reasons for seeking a modification. However, it is crucial you act quickly, so please do yourself a favor and hire an experienced attorney who is ready to get down to business. If you wish to modify the terms of your divorce, you must be able to prove there is a significant, unforeseen, and continuing change in your situation. For example, if you owe spousal support, you may request a modification because of a change in your ex-spouse’s financials, the decline of their health, or his or her cohabitation with another person. Essentially, big changes in life very often bring about a substantial change in your financial situation as well. If you are in this position, do not feel trapped. If you act quickly, you may be able to modify certain terms of your divorce to best fit your situation.

What factors can be modified?

Some of the factors you may wish to modify, based on your circumstances, are as follows:

  • Spousal support
  • Child support
  • Child custody
  • Child visitation
  • Relation within the state
  • Relocation outside of state lines

It is extremely important you retain an attorney who knows the ins and outs of the divorce and post-judgment modification processes. You will need a knowledgable attorney in your corner to ensure you get the modifications you need in order to live a productive life. Additionally, if you are on the flip side of the modification, and your ex-spouse is seeking an unjustifiable modification, you should also contact an attorney who will help ensure you continue receiving the support you need.

Contact our experienced New Jersey firm

Paris P. Eliades Law Firm, LLC is honored to serve the people of New Jersey, including Sparta, Sussex County, Morris County, Passaic County, and Bergen County with the quality legal services they deserve. Contact our firm for a consultation today.