father walking child

If you share a child with someone, and you split up, you will have a lot of arrangements to determine. You will still need to settle upon child custody and child support agreements, regardless of your marital status. If you and your partner have recently separated, you are likely wondering how this all works. Read on to learn more about child custody and child support agreements when it comes to unmarried parents.

How Is Custody Determined for Unmarried Parents?

When an unmarried parent wants to obtain custody of their child, or create a custody arrangement, they should be aware of New Jersey custody law. In these situations, unmarried parents can enter a non-dissolution “FD” case. This allows them the right to the following:

  • Establish legal paternity for the child
  • Establish legal custody orders for a minor
  • Enforce child support or alimony payments
  • Create a parenting time court order for biological parents
  • Set grandparent/adult sibling visitation orders

In order to accomplish this, you should reach out to an experienced attorney.

How is Child Support Determined?

New Jersey courts are looking out for the child’s best interests. New Jersey operates under the policy that children have a right to financial support from both parents, regardless of the relationship status of the parents. This means that children are entitled to share in the current income of both parents, which is reflected in child support determinations. For unmarried parents, the New Jersey Child Support Guidelines are used to determine child support.

These guidelines apply to parties with a combined net income between $170 and $3,600 per week. There are several factors that are also considered along with the guidelines. Some of these include:

  • The income and assets of each parent
  • The earning capacity of the child
  • The age and health of the child, and any special needs they may have
  • Debts and liabilities of each child and parent
  • The custody arrangement
  • The child’s need for further education

If you have any questions or concerns regarding child support and child custody for unmarried parents, contact our firm today. We are here to walk you through all of your family law matters.

Contact our Firm

We understand that those getting a divorce most likely have several questions regarding the weeks and months to come. Paris P. Eliades Law Firm, LLC is honored to serve the people of New Jersey, including Sparta, Sussex County, Morris County, Passaic County, and Bergen County with the quality legal services they deserve. If you are getting a divorce or have any other questions regarding divorce-related matters, please do not hesitate to contact our firm for a consultation today.