When a couple gets divorced, there are a number of issues that will have to be worked out and agreed upon. Some of these issues include child support, child custody, alimony, and more. These agreements are carefully planned and calculated. But, in some cases, they will no longer work. In this event, you can request a post-judgment modification. Read on to learn more about post-judgment modifications in New Jersey.

What Factors can be Modified?

Some of the factors you may wish to modify, based on your circumstances, are as follows:

  • Spousal support
  • Child support
  • Child custody
  • Child visitation
  • Relation within the state
  • Relocation outside of state lines

What Circumstances Call for a Modification?

In some cases, you may have unexpected life changes. These changes may result in the need for a modification. The following circumstances may call for a post-judgment modification in New Jersey:

  • A child reaches the age of emancipation does not need child support anymore
  • Financial responsibility must be determined for college education payment
  • Either party is living with another person and no longer needs support from their former-spouse
  • If the child’s schedule changes, a former spouse may wish to modify custody terms, parenting time, and visitation schedule
  • If either party receives a promotion, demotion, loses their job, becomes disabled, etc., the spousal or child support payment amount may need to change
  • If either party exposes their child to domestic violence, substance abuse, a serious mental illness, etc., custody agreements may need to change

How Are Modifications Enforced?

In some cases, modifications need to be enforced. In New Jersey, there are a number of ways to enforce post-judgment modifications. Some of the ways to enforce these modifications include:

  • Compensatory time with the children
  • Economic sanctions
  • Modifying transportation arrangements
  • Pick-up and return of the children in public spaces
  • Counseling for children or parents
  • Temporary or permanent modifications to the arrangement
  • Participation by the violating parent in an approved community service program
  • Incarceration
  • Issuance of a warrant if violations continue

In some cases, it can be difficult to modify your agreements because you will need to prove to a court that your circumstances have changed. For this reason, you should reach out to a skilled attorney. If you have any questions or concerns regarding post-judgment modifications in New Jersey, contact our firm today to speak with an experienced family law attorney.

Contact our Firm

We understand that those getting a divorce most likely have several questions regarding the weeks and months to come. Paris P. Eliades Law Firm, LLC is honored to serve the people of New Jersey, including Sparta, Sussex County, Morris County, Passaic County, and Bergen County with the quality legal services they deserve. If you are getting a divorce or have any other questions regarding divorce-related matters, please do not hesitate to contact our firm for a consultation today.