When parents in New Jersey are going through a divorce, one of the major issues that they will run into is regarding which parent will have custody. It is no surprise that a custody decision is often very difficult for parents to decide on their own. In some instances, parents may need the court to make a custody decision on their behalf. Of course, the judge is always going to rule in the best interest of the child. In order to determine what the best interest of the child actually is, the court will take the following factors into consideration:
- The relationship between the child and each parent
- Each parent’s history of domestic abuse, substance abuse, and other criminal activity
- The age and health of each parent
- The needs of the child
- The level of stability each parent can provide the child at home
- The child’s preference, if they are old enough and mature enough to make a sound decision on this matter
- The work status and lifestyle of each parent
Of course, these reasons are only a few of the many factors taken into consideration by the judge on such an important matter. If you have questions about child custody in New Jersey, contact our firm today.
Paris P. Eliades Law Firm, LLC is a divorce and family law firm serving clients in Sussex, Morris, and Passaic County and throughout New Jersey. Our firm is proud to provide clients with compassionate, quality legal services. Contact our office today for a free initial consultation.