hand on window

Domestic violence is a crime that, unfortunately, occurs more often than any of us would like to think. If you’re a domestic violence victim, however, you need to understand that there is help available. Please continue reading and speak with our Sparta domestic violence attorneys to learn more about domestic violence in New Jersey and how we can get you to safety. Here are some of the questions you may have:

How is domestic violence defined under New Jersey law?

Here in the state of New Jersey, domestic violence is loosely defined as when a person in a domestic relationship, such as someone to whom an individual is married or was once married to, commits an act of violence against that person. Domestic relationships can also entail individuals who share a household, are dating, or individuals who have a child together. You should note that domestic violence can come in the form of physical, emotional, financial, or verbal abuse. Some common criminal charges associated with domestic violence are sexual assault, assault, harassment, stalking, kidnapping, and burglary.

Can I obtain a restraining order in New Jersey?

If you’re a victim of domestic violence in New Jersey, you should understand that you do have options and that you’re protected under the law, specifically the New Jersey Prevention of Domestic Violence Act. Essentially, the Act allows victims of domestic violence to receive both civil and criminal relief. If you’re a domestic violence victim and are in imminent danger, the first thing you should do is call the police. They can get you to safety and will likely take you to a courthouse, where a judge should implement a temporary restraining order, which will keep the abuser away from you until you attend a final restraining order hearing. At this hearing, we will have to prove that you are a victim of domestic violence. We can do so using a wide array of evidence, such as text messages, voicemails, emails, medical documents, videos/photos, and more. As long as we can prove your case, the restraining order should be made permanent. As previously stated, if you wish, you can also file a criminal complaint in New Jersey and press charges against the abuser. You can file the complaint either where you reside, where the incident of abuse occurred, or where you are currently being sheltered.

If you have further questions about domestic violence in New Jersey or need a competent attorney in your corner, speak with our Sparta, NJ family law attorney today. We’re here to help ensure your safety.

Contact Our New Jersey Firm

If you are getting a divorce or have any other questions regarding divorce-related matters, please do not hesitate to contact Paris P. Eliades Law Firm, LLC for a consultation today.