pile of dollar bills

When a couple gets divorced, they very often disagree on its terms. In addition to child custody and support terms, alimony is one of the most frequently and aggressively contested issues during a divorce. Very often, one party will believe he or she is entitled to more support than the other party is willing to give. Divorce is scary for several reasons and having to support yourself on your own, especially as a dependent spouse, can be terrifying. This is why you should contact an experienced and compassionate attorney as soon as possible who is ready to fight for your rights in court. 

What are the different types of alimony?

New Jersey no longer refers to alimony, or spousal support, as “permanent.” There are several different types of alimony in New Jersey, and none of them are intended to go on forever. The four most common types of alimony payment structures are as follows:

  • Limited-duration alimony: Generally, if you were in a short-duration marriage, the court will order the payment of limited-duration alimony. A court will make a decision based on the duration of your marriage, both you and your former spouse’s age, and both you and your former spouse’s earning potential.
  • Open-durational alimony: This type of alimony is for spouses who have been married for over 20 years. Open-durational alimony does not have a set end date, though the amount can be modified based on a significant change of financial circumstances. 
  • Reimbursement alimony: A party may receive reimbursement alimony if their former spouse has foregone meaningful employment to pursue an advanced degree. Generally, this type of alimony is used to repay the spouse who was working while the other spouse was in school.
  • Rehabilitative alimony: This form of alimony is generally used to pay for additional schooling or vocational training to help a financially dependent spouse reach financial stability.

What is divorce mediation?

If you seek to avoid the courtroom setting, you may be relieved to learn that in some cases, you can. If you and your former spouse are willing to set aside your differences, you may hire a neutral, unbiased, third-party mediator. This mediator will then help facilitate a civil conversation between you and your former spouse with the ultimate hope of helping you reach a fair and just compromise. If all goes as planned, you will have reached an agreement on your terms, and you will both be happier than if you had left your case in the court’s hands. 

Contact our experienced New Jersey firm

Paris P. Eliades Law Firm, LLC is honored to serve the people of New Jersey, including Sparta, Sussex County, Morris County, Passaic County, and Bergen County with the quality legal services they deserve. Contact our firm for a consultation today.