Oftentimes, victims of domestic violence do not know where to turn. Will others believe them? Will their partner get even angrier, hurt them further, or even hurt their family? Or, if applicable, how will reporting their partner affect their children’s lives? These are all understandable concerns, especially since domestic violence primarily draws its strength and dominance through fear. Nobody should ever have to live afraid in their own home, or worse, their own bed. Fortunately, if you are a victim of domestic violence, you do not always have to be. First, you should know that domestic abuse defines your partner–not you. You are not weak. Domestic abusers are generally so angry with their own weaknesses that they try to make you feel as small as they are. This is unacceptable, but fortunately, you can get protection, for both you and your family. You should never hesitate to call the police following an incident of domestic violence, and this, coupled with an experienced attorney, can grant you the safety and peace of mind you deserve. If you are wondering where to go from here, please read on to learn more about how we can help.

What are the New Jersey laws regarding domestic violence?

Fortunately, since 1991, New Jersey victims of domestic violence are protected under the Prevention of Domestic Violence Act. This allows you to request criminal and civil relief in a domestic violence dispute.

How do I obtain a restraining order?

This is probably your most pressing concern, especially following an incident of violence or abuse. Fortunately, the second you report the incident(s) of domestic violence, a court or local police station will grant you a Temporary Restraining Order. Here are some actions that generally qualify for a TRO:

  • Assault
  • Stalking
  • Harassment
  • Criminal restraint
  • Criminal trespass
  • Criminal mischief
  • Terroristic threats
  • Physical, emotional, psychological, or sexual abuse

Once you are granted a Temporary Restraining Order, the court will schedule a Final Restraining Order hearing. Once you and your attorney prove your case, the Temporary Restraining Order will become permanent. At this point, you may also press criminal charges against your former partner if you wish to hold him or her accountable for illegal activity. You will do so by filing a Criminal Complaint either where you reside, where the offending party resides, where the incident of abuse occurred, or where you are currently sheltered. Never let a violent or abusive person take control of your life. If you wish to talk to someone for support, the National Domestic Abuse Hotline is 1-800-799-7233.

Contact our New Jersey firm

Paris P. Eliades Law Firm, LLC is honored to serve the people of New Jersey, including Sparta, Sussex County, Morris County, Passaic County, and Bergen County with the quality legal services they deserve. Contact our firm for a consultation today.