dollar bill coins

Your financial situation can change drastically over time, for better or worse. As a result, your child support arrangement may no longer work for your current circumstances. Read on to learn more about paying child support in the event of unemployment

How is child support determined in New Jersey?

In order to determine the duration and frequency of child support, a New Jersey judge will consider the following factors: 

  • The parenting/ custody structure
  • The child’s needs
  • The child’s needs and capacity for education, including higher education
  • The standard of living
  • Each party’s financial situation
  • Each parent’s assets and liabilities
  • Earning capacity of each party
  • Age and health of the parents and the child

Do I have to pay child support if I lose my job?

If you have become unemployed, you may be wondering whether you have to continue paying child support. In New Jersey, you will have to continue paying child support unless otherwise stated by the court. However, in the event of unemployment, you can request a child support modification. If you have lost your job, you may be able to modify the amount and/or frequency of your child support payments. Notably, if you are unemployed because you quit your job, or you were fired for criminal behavior or gross negligence, you likely won’t be able to modify your agreement. In order to modify your agreement, you will have to prove that a substantial and long-term change has occurred to your life/finances. In order to provide this proof, it is important to work with an experienced family law attorney. 

Failing to pay court-ordered child support

If you do not pay court-ordered child support, you will likely find yourself in legal trouble. A New Jersey court may enforce child support through the following methods: 

  • Wage garnishment
  • Property liens
  • Driver’s license revocation
  • Imprisonment

If you have recently lost your job, you may be struggling to make your child support payments. Our firm is here to help. We will work to help you obtain a child support modification. Reach out today to discuss your options with a skilled and dedicated family law attorney. 

Contact our Firm

We understand that those getting a divorce most likely have several questions regarding the weeks and months to come. Paris P. Eliades Law Firm, LLC is honored to serve the people of New Jersey, including Sparta, Sussex County, Morris County, Passaic County, and Bergen County with the quality legal services they deserve. If you are getting a divorce or have any other questions regarding divorce-related matters, please do not hesitate to contact our firm for a consultation today.